4/6/09

Scripture Time

1 John 3:1-6
1How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears,[a]we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.
4Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

These verses are a comfort to me. V 1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us? Now ask yourself How great is his love? I think it's pretty great, life isn't always easy. We can have so many struggles or problems but His love is still available to us, it's always there. Verses 4 & 5 we all sin, except Him who had no sin.
I'm not going to comment on verse 6. I've had discussions w/ many people on this topic and I think it seems to confuse me more. Please feel free to comment and help me out or just pray that it will become clear as mud for me! I know that if we've accepted Jesus as our personal savior we should be striving toward perfection. I don't think that I can achieve it though. I know some who say it's more of a heart matter. (with the sinning) When I sin I know I did it I feel awful I try to repent right away and if it involved someone else I also ask for their forgiveness. Where others might not think about the fact it was sin or just say I'm saved so I'm covered under the blood. I really don't know. I think I used to think a murderer was worse than I was. I now have been told (and can see and do believe) that sin has no degrees/levels. It's all the same in God's eyes. Well let me give you 2 different situations:
I have 2 kids I get mad and yell because they made a mess or they're fighting, or they disobeyed, or whatever you want them to be doing. I get really mad and say something I shouldn't (maybe I even hit them) and feel awful.
Situation #2- I'm not married, but I'm living with a man. I know I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing but I just really love him and I think that God wants us to be together.

What is the difference between the 2? They are both sinning separating themselves from God. How should we look at it? Is it as simple as repentance, one is making an effort and one isn't maybe? Should we question there salvation? Help me out here. When I read verse 6 it makes it sound to me (the spiritually immature person I am) like we can't know him and keep sinning. Thanks for any help you can give!

Father~ Thank you for your words. Help me to better understand it, sometimes it seems so clear to me and sometimes I feel so very lost. I know the more time I spend with you the easier I can understand it, help me to put you in control of my life. Help me to be closer to you dear Lord. In your name Amen.

2 comments:

Megan April 6, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

Well in my mind it CAN'T mean we stop sinning because that's impossible in our earthly bodies...We are NOT Christ and he's the only one who can be sinless.

As for what it does mean IDK???

Anyone???

Megan April 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

Maybe once we've accepted Him as our Savior that he no longer sees our sin???

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP