4/19/10

School's out for summer...and some other random thoughts!

We are a homeschooling family! The past 2 years we've started our school year in July, and for us it has worked really well! That is why SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER! I think we are all really excited for a break! I can't wait to finish spring cleaning, and to get some outdoor projects under way!

This is : national turn off your TV week.

I'm looking forward to this. I'm not sure we've ever done it before... Can you do it? Can you go a whole week with out TV? Since we home school we don't watch a lot anyway, but I'm excited to do away with it for a week. I know we still watch more than we should. I have recently been convicted about the TV. (more on that in a minute) It will be a process for me, but I do think it needs done. Did any of you watch the "family" movie on NBC: Secret of the Mountain? We read about it on American Family Association and heard the program on Focus on the Family about it. I was really excited about it, they gave rave reviews. I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong it was a good movie. It just had some stuff in it, that was a let down to me. If you really want to know my specifics feel free to email me. I was told by my hubby that I'm too critical!!!

On to my TV convictions: I think God has been working on my heart concerning this. I've been thinking a lot about what my kids watch, and how it impacts them. I know that I can't shelter them from everything, but I do think God gave me this job (mom) for a reason. The time they spend on the TV, the things they watch are they God honoring? While listening to the Focus on the Family program they were discussing how to decide what to watch. One of the guests said something that really struck me. We've all heard the WWJD saying, right? He said he thinks about the disciples going to watch something and sitting down with Jesus to watch whatever. What would He tell his disciples about it? What would he tell you? (My kids don't watch anything during prime time.) The hubby and I have a few shows that we really like. I don't feel like any of them would be shows that Jesus would want us to watch. Really their probably isn't anything on prime time that he would want us to watch. Would he care that times have changed and more things are accepted now than when he walked this earth? I feel like he wouldn't care, sin is still sin. I'm probably in the minority, and I'm OK with that. Like I said it will be a process, but I will still be attempting it.
TV is like most everything else, you have to seek God for what your supposed to do. What's right for me doesn't make right for you.

On a lighter note: Exercise/Health ...Well it has been 6 whole weeks, my sil and I are starting in on our 7th week. It is going really well. I'm down a total of 14 pounds. I'm really excited, but I still have so much to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous April 19, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

Great job on the weight loss! That is totally awesome.
-Janelle

The Gaertegang Homestead April 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

I did not know it was "turn off your TV week". I think it's easy to keep the TV off when the weather is nice and we can get outside and keep busy. PBS is pretty much the only safe thing to watch and even that is not 100%.
Yahoooo on the weight loss...you are on your way girly! Keep up the good work :)

Sarah April 19, 2010 at 11:21 PM  

14 pounds! YAY! Great job and keep up the good work. I know it isn't easy, but you will feel better!

TUrn off your TV week is something more people should do! You don't realize the "addiction" that you have until you try to go with out! We just recently got an antenna for our TV and we don't watch it! There are only a few channels and we actually have been without TV for about 3 years now. And it wasn't difficult when we did it because it was summertime, but it did get a little more difficult in the winter. But it still was doable! Like you said people should pray about what they are supposed to do, but I think kids especially can do without so much TV. My kids have a Wii and I try to limit that too because I can tell when they have been in front of the TV too long. I call it "Wii head", back when we had cable, I called their issues "TV head"... My kids get cranky and fight more, they act like they need a nap! I call this "Wii head".

Fight against "TV HEAD"! ;) Hope you guys accomplish NO TV this week!

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP