3/12/14

"Antique" french door

 I have been seeing more and more antique window/door decorating ideas on Pinterest. So I decided to share what I did with my door. When I was looking for ideas I didn't see anything exactly like this. I may just not have looked in the right place, but I feel like this is pretty unique. 
My parents bought a property many years ago and it had a shed.  In the shed were these beautiful doors.  Some of the glass was still in the panes, and they were a dark wood.  I had always wanted them, I really wanted to replace the glass and use them as french doors...but it wouldn't work in my house.  I decided that even if I couldn't use them as real doors I still wanted them. 

I brought them home and painted them turquoise. After talking about it for quite awhile my husband decided he could attach a small piece of trim to the bottom and then a piece of quarter round to that. After we did that we were ready to hang them! 
 (we hung them using the cleat method) (I think that's what you call it!)

 I was going to put them both in the living room.  One above the couch and one above the open stairway. You can see it just to the left in the picture below.  After hanging the first one we decided there was no way we were going to hang the other one above the stairs.  My sister was lucky enough to snag the other one.  She painted hers red and decorated it completely different than mine! (Hers looks great as well!)
 Here is a close up of the ledge, if I were doing it again I would make it deeper. We had a couple of the frames fall  off so we had to attach the frames with heavy duty Velcro. 


Here is the other side of the room.
 (You can see I have an antique window with a giant picture of my kids feet!) 


One more a little closer so you can enjoy the giant baby head!!!


1 comments:

Mominin March 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM  

Your living room is looking great!! I love the boys on the couch!!!

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP