10/23/08

Scripture Time

Ephesians 5:1-14
1Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
3But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.[
a] 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7Therefore do not be partners with them.
8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10and find out what pleases the Lord. 11Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, 14for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."


Well I'm not sure what to say to these verses. I could use some help! Is it saying that if you have a sexual sin,impurity, or greed you can't be a christian? Or is it saying if you have a sin problem w/ one of these you need to fix it cause it has no place among Christians? If it is the later what do you say to someone who can't seem to get rid of one of those sins? And what makes those different than my anger problems. I try to not be angry,but it doesn't always work. I slip up often so how do you go to someone who has problems with impurity and tell them they need to fix it. I really hope I get some help here! Please explain verse 5 to me it almost sounds as tho you aren't a christian if you are guilty of these sins. I hope you guys can help me clarify this!

3 comments:

Sarah October 25, 2008 at 10:01 AM  

I think it is benefital to the kingdom to keep these sins out of our lives, not that those things don't creep in. But those sins, especially in the eyes of non-believers who are watching our every move, can really "ruin" God's credibility to many. We are His hands and His feet, we are His tongue and His arms here on the Earth. When those sins DO creep in, we need to acknowledge them ASAP, and admit our wrong, maybe not just to God, but to all who were affected by it.

I could ramble on and on... =) That is what Some of these verses say to me anyways...

Sarah October 25, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

In verse 5, I think it is saying sin does not have a place among Christians. But what has He given us to ensure that we go to heaven? He gave us His Son, who washes us clean, IF we ask Him to. We can build our inheritance in heaven by testifying to God, showing that we are also sinners but are FORGIVEN. And we must be forgiven because no sin or darkness will enter the kingdom of heaven. God knows that our tempers will rise (repeat offender here...), we will open our mouthes when we should be quiet, we will hurt others, and on and on. BUT we need to repent of those things, because He will not let those things into His kingdom.

I hope that makes sense! Have I told you that I tend to ramble sometimes??? =)

Genesa October 25, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

Thanks! I think that makes good sense to me!

I talked to Mark about it a little bit after I posted and he helped me too!

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP