10/27/08

Scripture Time

Ephesians 5:22-33

22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing[
b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body. 31"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."[c] 32This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

I've struggled with submission for a long time. Not in the way of wanting to not submit to Mark, but in understanding what it really means. I've been told it's really just a respect issue. Well to what degree do we take that? You hear some people say that she had to check w/ her husband before she would buy that little trinket. It was only $5, that's just crazy. You hear others who have their own money in their account and the husband doesn't touch it and doesn't know where it goes. So should we just be somewhere in the middle? Is it just an issue of respecting your husband, holding him in the highest esteem? I think verse 33 is a good one, a gentle reminder to the husbands. Some other good verses on this are in 1st Corinthians . If the husband is treating the wife the way he should be, generally the wife is going to bend over backwards to do whatever she can for the husband. It's a give and take thing. If you guys have any helpful advice on submission I could use it!

Father~ Thank you for the marriage relationship. Thank you for the companionship and the love you can share. Thank you for sending your son to be the perfect example. We should be modeling our relationships after him. Help me as always to be more like him. In your name Amen.

3 comments:

Sarah October 27, 2008 at 4:12 PM  

There ARE alot of different opinions on this! I guess in this way I am very thankful I have a very gentle and loving, Godly husband. Because it says submit. Not submit only if your husband is a Christian, sumit if he treats you well, submit if you feel like he loves you... It just says submit as unto the Lord. I want to submit my whole heart and life to the Lord. What if he ISN'T a Christian, what if he DOESN'T treat you good? There are no "BUTS" here. That is because, I think, God wants us to be a witness to our husband. When a non-Christian husband gets mad because he asked you to pick something up for him or for you to take the trash out or whatever, OUR attitudes show ALOT to our husband. Just like our lives should show a lot to non-Christians we come in contact with everyday, we need to make an impact with our husbands also.

Like I said, thank God that He has given me a Godly husband. I think too what you said about separtate bank accounts, or checking on spending $5., I think when we come together with our husbands as one everything is equal.

We need to be like the Proverbs 31 Woman, "the heart of her husband safely trusts her". I have in the past been horrible with money, but I learned under the guidence of my husband how to be better, and then I WANTED TO be better because that is what HE wanted. It IS a give and take thing.

I love these verses!

Genesa October 27, 2008 at 8:25 PM  

Yes, I think you're right on. I know it is important to be in submission whether your husband is a Christian or not. I too am blessed w/ my hubby. I know for myself if he wasn't a christain I think it would hard to stay in submission,but thankfully I don't have to worry about that. Our character is very important in showing Christ to others.

Megan October 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM  

I think you guys have it figured out. Not much to add!!

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP