10/28/08

Scripture Time

Ephesians 6:1-4

1Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."[a] 4Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.


Are any children reading this today? Just kidding! I think the only way for a child to obey is to be taught to obey. When they are born they have that sin-nature already. If you let them do whatever they want and give them whatever they want I don't think they will obey you. They will be brats that know how to work you to get what they want. I think though it comes back to the parents. You have to stay consistent. I struggle with this from time to time (OK a lot of the time!) I can tell a huge difference in my kid's actions if they are consistently disciplined. I know sometimes it would be easier to let them do whatever they want to do right now. In 10 more years it will be the worst decision I could make though. I think a lot of parents think well this or that isn't that big of a deal, should we really be that strict, is it really going to hurt anything. I personally feel like the answer to those is yes. I know you can be too strict though, and I do think you have to work on making sure your careful. I've heard some wise people say if you can't control them now what are you going to do when they are 16. I tend to agree w/ that thinking. I'm over protective in some instances that maybe I shouldn't be, and in some area's to lenient. I know I need to be seeking God's words on training and follow them. If it's something I'm not sure about I need to pray about it. I think it's VERY VERY important that our kids can STAND for Christ. I need to be training them accordingly. They need to see that Mark and I have faith that is real and that it is THE ONLY WAY. John 14:6 "Jesus answered I am the way and the truth and the life, no man comes to the father except through me".

Father~ Our children are a blessing. I love them dearly. Help me to entrust them to you, I know you are in control and you hold us all in your hand. Help mothers to be training their children in a way that pleases you. Help us to seek your will in training them. In your name Amen.

2 comments:

Sarah October 29, 2008 at 8:51 AM  

I started off parenting with these "grand ideas". Then reality reared it's ugly head and I realized that I need to choose my battles. I do not relax the expectations of behavior, and respecting other people and their property, even if I see other children doing what my kids would like to. My kids know the rules, and they are expected to follow them, EVERYWHERE! You are exactly right when you say, you don't want then to be like 10 and out of control. There is NO reason they should not have boundries! In all things!

Genesa October 29, 2008 at 1:25 PM  

Yeah parenting is not an easy job. But it is so important.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP