12/16/09

Baby Food! Part 2

Step 1: Buy sweet potatoes. (you can use any fruit or veggie you'd like!)

Step 2: Cook sweet potatoes

Step 3: Get out this wonderful contraption.



Step 4: Attach the food grinder on to it.




Step 5: Get the sweet potatoes out of the oven. (I let mine cook for an hour and a half or more. I wanted to be sure they were done.)



Step 6: Start taking the peel off.



Step 7: Cut them up.


Step 8: Put the cut up pieces into the food tray, and turn on the mixer.



Step 9: This is the sweet potatoes all done. I added a little bit of water to get the consistency I wanted.




Step 10: Get out your ice cube trays and make sure they are clean and sterile.


Step 11: Fill up the trays and put in the freezer.


These freeze up within an hour or two. After they are frozen take them out of the tray and put them in a freezer bag. You can store them in the freezer for at least 6 months. When baby is ready to eat pull out the bag and put a cube or 2 in a bowl. Microwave for a few seconds or if you don't want to use the microwave put them in the fridge a few hours before meal time.


I bought 4 sweet potatoes for $3.10. (they were $.99 lb, I think) I got 30 cubes out of the 4 potatoes. A jar of baby food (natures goodness) at Meijer is $.43. I think you get 3 cubes of food per jar. So if that's true I got 10 jars for $3.10. I saved $1.20.

Now I can already hear a lot of you saying I'm crazy and it's not worth it. YOU have to make that decision for yourself!! For me it is so worth it, I really enjoy it!
*Bonus for me*

My green beans are almost free. (from the garden) I also got carrots this year from an Amish lady that works with Mark, totally free! I've got applesauce in the freezer. (not sure on the price per serving, I pay $15-18 for a bushel)(I'm quite sure it's less than a baby food jar would be) I have peaches (these would be the most expensive)that I can in the summer, again not sure on the price. So I really have a fair amount that I don't have to buy, or haven't had to pay much for.
Stay tuned for more..........

1 comments:

The Gaertegang Homestead December 17, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

I don't think your crazy!! I think there is alot to say for knowing what you are feeding your little one...Price to time ratio ya your probably not really saving a whole lot...but if you enjoy it and you know what is in that baby food (no preservatives,ect.) that means a lot more to me than saving and time....at least that is how I feel about making things from scratch for my own family. Sometimes it is a matter of time, need, and the enjoyment factor. Like you said EACH family has to decide what is right for them...but when people share what they like to do...we all benefit from knowing what different options we have to choose from and I think only then we can make better choices that way :) THANKS for sharing!

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP