1/31/11

Reading!

I enjoy reading, but I do not take the time to do it often. It's always been a challenge for me, if the book isn't really good. My beautiful sister is taking part in 52 Books in 52 Weeks. It convicted me in my reading habits. I'm not sure I will be able to accomplish 52, but I'm going to read as much as I can! If I only read 10 books then it's 10 more than I would have read!

In case you're wondering...I read aloud to my kids everyday. I'm talking about "just for me" reading time!



The first book I read is one I started probably a year and a half ago. I enjoyed it, but with life I just didn't make it a priority to finish. I'm very glad I finished it. It's a soldiers retelling of his experiences in World War II. (he's a local man, that my parents know) I've always felt strongly about our military. I don't love war, but I do think sometimes it is needed. This book was very humbling to me. What soldiers went through...WOW. He describes things that I can't imagine, I can't imagine coming home and living a "normal" life after what he saw.
I believe that without military fighting for our freedom, we wouldn't have the country we have. We may not have the freedoms that we have. I think most Americans take for granted our freedoms, but after a book like this it's hard to do. If you know a veteran, thank them for the comforts they gave up for us, the life they lived for our chance at freedom, the service they gave. I know you're no longer living, but thank you Hobert for your compelling story and your service.

0 comments:

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP